Early Childhood Education
To strengthen families and empower individuals to take action for the well-being of self and others in the home, workplace, community and world.
Students must complete a core curriculum which includes:
- Child growth and development
- Maintaining a safe, clean, and healthy environment
- Implementation of age appropriate activities
- Child abuse
- Curriculum for children
- Infant/toddler care
- Guiding behavior
- Health and safety regulations
- Nutrition and food service
- Employability and leadership skills
- Balancing family, school, and work
- 16 years of age or older and not currently enrolled in any K-12 program
- Occupational Interest
- High School Diploma/GED from an Accredited High School
- FDLE fingerprint clearance required
- Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The entire program is 600 hours, but students can earn a certificate at the completion of the following OCPs:
OCP A – Child Care Worker I: 150 hours
OCP B – Child Care Worker 2: 150 hours
OCP C – Teacher Aide (Preschool): 150 hours
OCP D – Preschool Teacher: 150 hours
Minimum basic-skills grade levels required for awarding a Full Program Completion Certificate are 9th grade in Math, Reading, and Language on the TABE Test. Additional information can be provided by student services.
Students are expected to complete program competencies.
- DCF 30-hour Child Care Worker Certification (5 DCF Test Certificates)
- DCF 10-hour Pre-School Certification (2 DCF Certificates)
- DCF 5-hour Early Literacy Program
- Adult and Pediatric CPR
- To receive the National CDA/(Child Development Associate) the student must contact the CDA program at: cdacouncil.org to schedule the test, visit, and fee charge.
- Childcare Worker
- Teacher Aide (Preschool)
- Preschool Teacher
According to the 2017 Bureau of Labor Statistics the median annual pay for Child Care Workers was $22,290 and the median annual pay for a Preschool Teacher was $ 28,990.
- In-state residents – $2.56 per hour (Subject to change)
- Out of state resident – $10.25 per hour (subject to change)
- $15.00 application fee per trimester
- Material fee – Varies by program
- Identification fee – $5.00 per trimester
- Liability insurance fee – Varies by program
- Students must purchase books/kits and or uniforms, if applicable.
RMEC & TC adheres to a policy of non-discrimination and strives to provide equal opportunity to all potential students.