Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning/Refrigeration (HVAC/R-1)
This program is designed to develop competencies in Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning/Refrigeration system operations, start-up and troubleshooting procedures as well as electrical diagnostics, heat loads and airflow calculations.
The Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning/Refrigeration program provides classroom and laboratory (hands-on) experiences which enable students to become proficient in the installation, repair and maintenance of air conditioning, refrigeration and heating systems. The laboratory contains a variety of residential central air conditioning units and industry simulators.
Content also includes basic supervisory skills, use and care of hand tools, power tools, specialized tools and equipment, and use of current industry standards, practices and techniques. The course/program also provides supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in these occupations.
- 16 years of age or older and not currently enrolled in any K-12 program
- Occupational Interest
- Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Monday – Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
The entire program is 1350 hours, but students can earn a certificate at the completion of the following OCPs:
OCP A – A/C, Refrigeration and Heating Helper: 250 hours
OCP B – A/C, Refrigeration and Heating Mechanic Assistant: 250 hours
OCP C – A/C, Refrigeration and Heating Mechanic 1&2: 500 hours
OCP D – A/C, Refrigeration and Heating Technician: 350 hours
Students are expected to complete program competencies.
Minimum basic-skills grade levels required for awarding a Full Program Completion Certificate are 9th grade in Reading, 10th grade in Math and 9th grade in Language on the Test of Adult Basic Education Test (TABE) or passing the HVAC Excellence Certification. Additional information can be provided by student services.
- Air-conditioning, Refrigeration and Heating Mechanics
- Mechanic Helpers
- Air-Conditioning and Heating Installer
- Marine Air Conditioning Technician
- Building Maintenance Engineers
- Refrigeration Sales and Service
- Warehouse & Parts Supplier
According to the 2017 Bureau of Labor Statistics the median pay for an Air Conditioning Repair Mechanic was $47,080 or $22.64 per hour.
- In-state residents – $2.56 per hour (Subject to change)
- Out of state resident – $10.25 per hour (subject to change)
- $15.00 application fee per trimester
- Material fee – Varies by program
- Identification fee – $5.00 per trimester
- Liability insurance fee – Varies by program
- Students must purchase books/kits and or uniforms, if applicable.
RMEC & TC adheres to a policy of non-discrimination and strives to provide equal opportunity to all potential students.