The mission of the Cosmetology program is to prepare a student for employment as a Licensed Cosmetologist. Instruction is designed to qualify students for the Florida Cosmetology Licensing Examination.
Specialized classroom and practical experience is provided relating to a variety of beauty treatments. These include the care and beautification of the hair, complexion and hands. Training in giving shampoos, rinses and scalp treatments, hair styling, blow drying and thermal techniques, setting, cutting, tinting, bleaching, permanent waving, chemical relaxing, facials, manicures/pedicures, hand/arm and leg/foot massaging are included. Bacteriology, anatomy, hygiene, sanitation, customer relations and salon management, including record keeping, are also emphasized.
- 16 years of age or older and not currently enrolled in any K-12 program
- Occupational Interest
- Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Monday – Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 10:15 p.m.
The entire program is 1200 hours.
OCP A – Grooming and Salon Services Core,
Facials and Nails 225 hours
Cosmetologist and Hairdresser 1 300 hours
Cosmetologist and Hairdresser 2 300 hours
Cosmetologist and Hairdresser 3 375 hours
Minimum basic-skills grade levels required for awarding a Full Program Completion Certificate are 9th grade in Reading and 8th grade in Math and Language, on the TABE Test or passing the Cosmetologist Licensure Exam. Additional information can be provided by student services.
Students are expected to complete program competencies.
- Hair colorist
- Permanent wave technician
- Skin care technician
- Makeup artist
- Manicurist/pedicurist specialist
- Cosmetologist’s assistant
- Manufacturer’s representative
- Beauty supply presenter
- Facial/Nail Full Specialist
According to the 2017 Bureau of Labor Statistics the median pay for a Cosmetologist was $24,850 or $11.95 per hour.
- In-state residents – $2.56 per hour (Subject to change)
- Out of state resident – $10.25 per hour (subject to change)
- $15.00 application fee per trimester
- Material fee – Varies by program
- Identification fee – $5.00 per trimester
- Liability insurance fee – Varies by program
- Students must purchase books/kits and or uniforms, if applicable.
RMEC & TC adheres to a policy of non-discrimination and strives to provide equal opportunity to all potential students